Sunday, 11 August 2013

A Future Star



Signed to the label HKNY, Rishi is a 16 year-old R&B/Pop singer from Hackney, London. He currently attends Haileybury School in Hertfordshire, after going to Edge Grove Prep-School. He always loved to make music, and when he was 15 he realised it was what he wanted to do with his life. Rishi is extremely multi-cultural (his father being Bangladeshi and his mother from Thailand), but has lived in North East London for over 7 years now. Over a year ago his parents introduced him to an independent label called Urban Hit Factory, and after a few vocal lessons he began recording his first tracks with big producer Tom Vernon.

His first music video, called ‘You Never Know’, featured rapper Double S, who is quite a prominent name on the UK Hip-Hop/Grime scene, and has done videos with SB.TV (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hZ58TMnaTA), amongst other channels. This certainly helped Rishi to get his name out, and was a great start. Here is a link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIc72Wudc2E

Rishi is now working with well-known producer Rishi Rich from label 2point9. This in itself is a great achievement – Rishi Rich produced numerous songs for famous R&B Singer Jay Sean. Rishi will also be working with producer Shae, who helped to launch British singer Jessie J, another great achievement.

Rishi’s first single, ‘You Never Know’, came out on the 9th of August on iTunes!

I spoke to Rishi earlier, and this is what he told me:

1.)  When did you realize your love for music?

My love for music didn't really come to me as a realization. A passion and appreciation for music has always been in my life. Every time I would hear a song on the radio, I would analyze each particular instrumental riff and more importantly for me, the vocal trills.

2.)  Favorite artist, album, and song?

My favorite artist of all time has to be Justin Timberlake, as he is such an astonishing character. The fact that he himself can cover all aspects of media, as a vocalist/instrumentalist, an actor, and a businessman amazes me. My preference for Timberlake probably came from his "Justified" album, which was the first album I ever bought. However currently my favorite album is the 20/20 Experience - Part 1 because it doesn't have any what I would call ‘skip tracks’ - but who knows what Part 2 has in store? Personally I don't really have a favorite song; it really changes with the mood I'm in at the time.

3.)  How come Conor Maynard tweeted your song?

Conor was introduced to me by a friend of mine who is a session musician. I showed Conor some of my material over a meal, and it showed that we shared an appreciation for the same music, so I suppose he wanted to do me a favor.

4.)  What advice would you give to other teenage musicians?

Honestly guys, music has been a large factor in my life, even when I didn't really realize that I wanted to pursue it as a career. Music is definitely one of my ways to express emotion in a different way than the norm. If you enjoy it and it is something you love, keep doing it! When I was in the middle of my GCSE's, I remember that it was getting really stressful because I didn't have the best of timetables. When I could I would just grab my guitar and sing and it honestly helped me to stay grounded and focused. So please carry on doing music you lovely, beautiful people.

5.)  What are your plans for the future?

This question does come up a lot and honestly there isn't a straight answer, because it always seems to change every time I answer it. For now I can definitely say that I plan to put my all into developing my overall skills as an entertainer.

6.)  What one word would you use to describe your music?

Eclectic.

7.)  Where do you get your musical inspiration?

My inspiration comes from a range of areas I guess. When I was younger I grew up listening to my mum's music, which was at the time ‘Country’, which was quite weird. But I am influenced by both iconic and contemporary artists such as: Elvis Presley, MJ, Brian McKnight, Usher and of course JT.

8.)  What have you enjoyed most about your musical journey so far, and why?

So far, the buzz of music has honestly made me a happy kid, the ability of recording and completing a song is a skill in itself and to be able to do that is quite fulfilling. Moreover, the people that you get to meet in the music world are really interesting! Getting to meet experienced session musicians and music executives of labels etc. really broadens your perception of the music that is so frequently around you.

Check out Rishi:

No comments:

Post a Comment