Friday, 19 July 2013

An Interview with Phoebe Rose


Phoebe Rose is a 13 year-old singer from Oxford. She was clearly a musician from an early age (both of her parents are musical), and she started posting videos on YouTube in 2013, and soon began to get a lot of views. She has her own website (www.phoeberose.org), and you can also like her Facebook page. Not only does she sing beautifully, she also writes her own songs, and also a bit of poetry. She has done a number of live performances and hopes to release an EP soon. I spoke to her recently, and this is what she had to say:

When did you first start making music and why?

My mum always says I started to sing before I could talk, but I started to learn the piano when I was five and I wrote my first song when I was nine. I don't really know why I wrote that song. It wasn't a decision, it just happened, and, luckily, they keep coming

Who are your biggest influences in music?

Initially the big singers like Alicia Keys, Beyonce, Pink and Ella Fitzgerald. And more recently: Mumford and Sons and The Civil Wars. But I listen to all kinds of music.

What is your favourite song/album/artist?

Favourite Song: Poison and Wine, by The Civil Wars.
Favourite Album: Sigh No More, by Mumford and Sons
Favourite Artist: Beyonce

Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?

Hopefully on stage at a music festival.

Will you continue school while making music?

I will continue school because a good education is very important to me. It also means better lyrics, and one of my songs was actually inspired by a Geography lesson!

Why don’t you use your real name?

Phoebe Rose is my real name. Rose is my middle name.

What inspires your songs?

Everything and anything really. One of my latest songs was inspired by the tornado in Oklahoma and I dedicated it to all those people who lost friends and family. My songs can be inspired by anything, maybe even a single feeling, or a simple butterfly on a rose, but I like to let the listener decide what it's about in a way that is personal to them.

What one word would you say described your music?

Dope ;P

No comments:

Post a Comment