Sunday, 16 June 2013

Words That I Hate


Banter – whenever I hear someone say this, my first perception is that they are an utter idiot. But wait, it gets worse. Recently, people have begun to say ‘bants’ rather than ‘banter’. Please stop.

Yolo – it pains my ears to hear the word Yolo. As I explained in another blog, people don’t use it for legitimate reasons, and it’s just stupid. “Yeh I’m gonna go and nearly kill myself, coz you know… YOLO!!!” No…

Breasts – the double s sound is just a killer. Plus the fact that it is a really awkward, old-fashioned word – it sounds as if you are talking about chicken no matter what.

Antidaephobia – ‘the fear that you are being watched by a duck’. Must I say anything else?

Antidisestablishmentarianism – I think you know why I hate this word. It’s pointless. I’m willing to bet that nobody has ever used this word legitimately, unless they were intentionally adding it to their sentence to make them seem smarter.

1 comment:

  1. While writing my thesis I actually found a situation where I might have quite reasonably used the word antidisestablishmentarian (not -ism, but nearly there), but I didn't, precisely to avoid doing what you describe.

    (I was talking about Welsh Liberals and their opponents in the 19th century)

    ReplyDelete