Sunday, 10 March 2013

Things That I Detest: Needless Acronyms


‘OMG I hate acronyms so much.’ No! You sound like an idiot – don’t speak like that! If you want to express your surprise at something, instead of saying "Oh Em Gee" (which, by the way, has three syllables), say "Oh My God" (which, coincidentally, also has three syllables). I can understand wanting to acronymize (is that a word?) long words to shorter words, and I will accept that one might want to write OMG when texting, instead of writing out a long phrase – but don’t say it (unless you want to make people disdain you)! And why write ‘LOL’ when you can write ‘ha’?

N.B. Urban Dictionary LOL: Depending on the chatter, its definition may vary. Originally it meant ‘Laugh out Loud’, but now the list of its meanings includes, but is not limited to:
1) "I have nothing worthwhile to contribute to this conversation."
2) "I'm too lazy to read what you just wrote so I'm typing something useless in hopes that you'll think I'm still paying attention."
3) "Your statement lacks even the vaguest trace of humor but I'll pretend I'm amused."
4) "This is a pointless acronym I'm sticking in my sentence just because it's become so engraved into my mind that when chatting, I MUST use the meaningless sentence-filler 'lol.'"

Personally, the worst acronym I have ever heard (and admit to having used on a number of occasions) without a doubt has to be YOLO. Was there ever a problem with people thinking we lived more than once? Saying YOLO is pretty bad, but when the person saying it doesn’t know where it’s from is just horrific – they must be chastised! YOLO, meaning ‘You Only Live Once’, was made famous by YMCMB member Drake when he used YOLO in his song ‘The Motto’. However, this is not the origin of YOLO: reportedly, the slang acronym has been used for over 50 years – and hopefully it will die out very soon indeed! The worst thing about it is that it is so misinterpreted! Surely, if you only live once, you should be very careful and live very healthily – something I think Drake did not mean when he wrote his world-famous single! This is perfectly characterised in The Lonely Island’s song ‘YOLO’ in which they order people to ‘never travel by car, or bus, or boat or by rail’ as it is unsafe!

No comments:

Post a Comment