Friday, 15 March 2013

Honour and Pride


Mic Righteous is one of the most talented and truthful MCs in the UK scene at the moment, with lyrics full of passion and honesty. His debut mixtape, Yob Culture, received much praise from FlavourMag, and it helped him to get his first foot into the game.
Righteous, born Rocky Takalogibashi, is an upcoming Hip Hop artist raised in Margate, Kent. His family fled from Iran to England in the late 1970s, and he was born into a broken home. Rocky’s brother, a boxer named Mehrdad Takalogibashi, is WBU light middle weight and welterweight champion. Raised in Margate, Mic’s lyrics tell of his hard life as a child and about the immense troubles his family have gone through.
He is probably most known for his feature on Cher Lloyd’s (from the X Factor) single Dub on the Track, and also for his highly proclaimed Fire in the Booth, recorded by BBC Radio 1Xtra DJ Charlie Sloth, a central figure in the UK scene. This sparked much debate due to Mic’s saying “Free Palestine”, which was censored by the BBC.
In Mic Righeous’s song KamPain (from his album KamPain) he tells of his troubles as a young 18 year old artist and how he slowly realised how hard it was to receive recognition. He explains the trouble he took to get on SB.TV, the UK’s biggest underground music channel. He writes: “I remember countless times us harassing SB, no reply eventually Jamal had to check me...” Mic never forgets anybody who helped him gain recognition as a youngster, often shouting out Charlie Sloth, GrimeDaily (the first channel to play his music) and Jamal Edwards from SB.TV. Mic is arguably one of SB.TVs most filmed artists – he has recorded two Warm up Sessions, one F64, one A64, and one music video on their channel! Mic shows huge devotion for his fans and for the people that listen to the music, as he says they are the only way he can make a living. He writes: “This is for my avid listener – to my own art I’ve become a prisoner.” and “I write for the people that get left behind...” He also told Charlie Sloth that he just wanted to ‘satisfy everybody’.
Mic isn’t afraid to pour his heart out on the track and to be honest to his fans. His Fire in the Booth is a passion-filled 13 minute track: “We deny that we can only advance, and those that think they can’t, are lost in their art, mind lost in their heart, body lost in their mind, so back to the start, back to the passion the past. You are not gonna find the man that you are, if you cower in the face of the challenge travel your path. I ain’t tryna rap for a car, or rap for a yard or, rap for a b**ch that’s gonna max out my cars, see me, I rap for the man that hasn’t got garms, in fact, hasn’t got anything you spat in that bar...”
Mic Righteous has often been compared to artists such as Lowkey or Devlin who spit with a lot of vehemence in their voices, but whose bars are nowhere near the same complexity or seriousness as Mic’s. He reveals the truth about his family’s troubles to him fans, saying: “Our mother left us on our ones, dad’s wrist covered in blood; he beat his babies mum, and Farah still taking drugs.” His lyrics, arguably the most intense in the UK scene are often inspiring and daunting. However, on occasion his bars can be rather depressing, often referring to the poor state of the world at the moment. In his Fire in the Booth he writes: “Is there light at the end of this tunnel we’re in? Where everybody struggles to live, Pakistan’s an ocean, bodies in the brown water floating, everybody forgets, as Syria falls apart we watch our problems progress, man when will it end?” Despite this, Mic’s bars aren’t always completely serious. On his album KamPain he dedicates a whole song to announcing his love for ‘Georgia from SB.TV’ (whoever that is) – and the entire song was made using AutoTune!
Mic dropped his debut EP on iTunes in February, 2013, and it received huge a huge amount of support from his fans throughout the UK. Although I don’t think it can be compared to his previous tapes, it is a great EP and a definite for the wish-list.
I think Mic Righteous is summed up by his song Honour and Pride, from his debut mixtape Yob Culture. His inspiring bars say: “There’s another world outside these walls, we’re trapped inside, you’re looking at me like I’m out my mind, cos I wanna fly, coz I wanna find out what’s on the other side, and I might not come back alive, there’s a high chance Imma die, and if I die, God knows I’ll be going out with a fight. I’m proud to be Mic, I’m proud to be Righteous, in control of the life that I’m in; I got a lot on my mind, you keep it bottled inside...”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVEuv_rmLEw

No comments:

Post a Comment