Thursday, 20 December 2012

The Mysterious Life of Harry Franklin

The following diary entries were gathered together by forensic scientists and detectives following the recent supernatural occurrences in the small market town of Oundle. The diary entries were written in the early eighteenth century. This is about a man called Joseph Franklin, who died many years ago. He was born with what is now known as schizophrenia. This got worse as he aged, and led him to go crazy due to stress from working at The Ship Inn. He was hated and feared by the local community. He confused the children who bullied him as a child with the four children that lived in the village when he was a man. In his imagination, he conjured up a man who was his son, and believed that the village children bullied him. He put all his anger into his imaginary son. What you are about to read is entirely confidential, and none of the evidence has been tampered with.

JOSEPH FRANKLIN’S DIARY

27 February – Got back late from work tonight. The pub was full until about three o’clock this morning, when finally the last stragglers began to stumble home. Its almost four now, and my eyes are drooping. But I am forcing my self to write this, in fear of forgetting what just occurred after a nights sleep, and also out of habit. I heard a dragging noise in Harry’s room, and then a banging noise. Elizabeth was fast asleep, and with fear of her being awoken, I went over to Harry’s room. This was not the first occasion where he has kept me up at night, but Elizabeth is a deep sleeper. I stumbled along the corridor in the dark to his room. I reached for the doorknob, but as it was so dark I couldn’t see it. A foul smell was protruding from the room. So strong it was, that I began choking. Suddenly, the banging inside the room stopped, and there was a quick dragging noise inside the room. I flung the door open. Harry was lying on the floor, bleeding from his head. I ran over to him, picked him up in my arms and kissed his head
“Oh son, what on earth happened?” I spluttered through my tears. The blood was crimson red, running along the cracks in the floorboards. Harry’s body felt warm on my cold hands.
“I…I…I” Stuttered Harry “My eyes are hurting Daddy. Why is there blood on your hands?” He asked, innocently. I managed to clean up his head quite well with a warm clothe, and carried his limp body back to bed. I have decided that I will speak to him in the morning. I watched his motionless body drift back into a deep sleep, and then left him.

ELIZABETH FRANKLIN’S DIARY

28 February - Joseph has been acting strangely all day, and when I confronted him about it in the early hours of this morning, he shrugged it off.

JOSEPH FRANKLIN’S DIARY

28 February – Another late night. Harry has kept me up a lot of the night with his weeping. I tried to calm him, but in vain. He’s a lost cause, my Harry is.

29 February – My son. My beloved son. Why would he bring himself to do such a thing? It is the early hours. Last night I heard continuous screaming from Harry’s room. I stormed in, and screamed at him to be quiet. He has never been this loud. He was standing on the windowsill when I flung myself into the room, I saw his body go limp, and I saw him falling, and falling until he was out of sight. Then I heard a thud. And all because he was rejected from society. I loved him. It was their fault. The kids that bullied him when he was a child, and when he was an adult, that’s why he killed himself.

JOSEPH FRANKLIN’S DIARY

2 March – I’ve overheard some strange noises from Harry’s room. Amongst these noises have been the same noises I heard two nights before Harry took his own life.

ELIZABETH FRANKLIN’S DIARY

2 March – Slept perfectly last night. Joseph was restless though, as he often is. He has been acting very strange recently.

JOSEPH FRANKLIN’S DIARY

7 March – The noises have stopped. Finally.

FOUR YEARS LATER

JOSEPH FRANKLIN’S DIARY

29 February – I have heard noises in the sitting room. Harry’s old room. Dragging noises. I can’t remember exactly what they remind me of, but not of a good memory.

THOMAS PEACH’S DIARY (10 Year Old)

29 February – We all went back out to the old barn today. It was AMAZING. We built a huge tower with the hay bales, and we all jumped into the pile of hay underneath. Toby twisted his ankle doing it, but other than that nobody got hurt this time. My leg’s better from last time though, which is good.
Mother did catch us though, and she wasn’t happy at all. For some reason she got very nervous that we were playing in the barn. She saw a man outside and told us to look down. I lowered my head, but managed to get a small glimpse. There was an old looking man in an overcoat standing just outside the barn, with a smile on his face.

29 February (later) - Mother just put me in my bed, but I can’t sleep. I lit my candle and am now sitting at my desk. The night is cold, and the moon is bright. The wind is blowing against the window, and it is as if somebody is trying to break in. My shadow is dancing about my room, as the candle flickers. Hello Mr Candle. The air in my room feels damp, cool and uncomfortable. My room has a murky stench, somewhat like newly polished wood. My candle was just blown out, and I am now sitting in the dark room. The floorboards below are creaking. I have a sense of foreboding. Goodnight.

JOSEPH FRANKLIN’S DIARY

29 February – Harry died four years ago today. Rest in Peace my son. Closed the pub early tonight, but didn’t go straight home... With Elizabeth gone I am completely alone. She left me, she said that I was crazy.

THOMAS PEACH’S DIARY

1 March – Toby’s body was found hung up a tree... He was tied with a rope at his feet and then hung upside down. And his insides had been ripped out, and blood flowed down his body. He’s only nine years old... The details are too gruesome. I can’t contain myself. Who would do such a thing, I feel sick. My mother seems to have an idea of who it was. I can’t write anymore. My best friend was just killed...

1 March (later) – Georgina has gone missing. I have tried so hard to hold myself back, but the tears continue to roll down my face.

3 March – Today was Toby’s funeral. I was the only person my age who was invited. It was such a solemn event. The man that we saw after playing in the barn, the day Toby was killed, was there. He just stood there, like a statue.

Later – Georgina’s been found. Well you could say she was found... You could also say half of her was found. Just parts of her. The top half of her body was found in the Nene River. Her blood turned the water crimson red. A man called Joseph Franklin found her with her face mutilated, and parts missing.

ELIZABETH FRANKLIN’S DIARY

5 March – The events that have happened in Oundle are absolutely horrific. Who would have done such a thing? In such a small town, it could be somebody I am very close to. Such a horrible thought that is.

6 March – Joseph has tried to contact me, but I don’t want anything to do with him anymore. I have filed for a divorce. He hit me, and he seems to think we used to have a son, who he says killed himself. I can’t stand him anymore. Things with him have got out of hand.

FOUR YEARS LATER

THOMAS PEACH’S DIARY

24 February – It’s my fourteenth birthday today! Mother and Father brought me a new copy of the Bible. Natasha brought me some fudge too! Mother and Father are uneasy though. I don’t know why. They received a strange envelope in the post today.

CHARLES PEACH’S DIARY

24 February It is Thomas’ fourteenth birthday today. We received a strange envelope in the post addressed to Thomas, but we decided to open it first, before he saw it. It was wet, and had a horrible stench. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I opened it. I looked in, and inside lay a mutilated, still bearing flesh, bleeding finger. On the back of the letter it was written in small writing “Georgina”.

THOMAS PEACH’S DIARY

27 February – Mother and Father have been acting very strangely recently. It’s beginning to scare me. Ever since my birthday they haven’t let me out of the house. Did I do anything wrong? I can’t think of any reason for their strange behaviour.

29 February – It was four years ago today that Georgina and Toby were murdered. Rest In Peace.

Later – The day grew dark soon, and it began to pour with rain. The moon was hidden by the dark and melancholy clouds. The darkness reflected my mood. My parents have locked my window and door.

JOSEPH FRANKLIN’S DIARY

29 February – Tonight I shall get my revenge, and then I may rest happily. I may get this burden off of my chest.

CHARLES PEACH’S DIARY

29 February – It is the anniversary of when those two young souls were killed on that dreadful night. I fear that is not the last that Oundle will hear of murder. We are keeping a very close eye on Thomas tonight.

1 March – Thomas is missing. How could this have happened? His window was locked, and his door was locked too. We stayed up half the night to make sure nothing happened. We opened his door this morning to find his window wide open and an empty bed. There was no sign of a scuffle or a fight at all.

2 March – It’s now three in the morning. About an hour ago we heard a quiet but desperate scratching on the door. I ran downstairs and flung the front door open, and Thomas lay there in a puddle of blood, still breathing. His stomach had been cut open, but he survived. That’s the only thing that matters. He’s alive.

Later – Thomas told me what happened. He found himself awake in the garden, being carried by a strange man. He said he had seen the man before, watching him. He was muttering to himself about something, and then about being hung up with a rope. He says he can’t remember anything after that except that he passed out, and then found himself lying on the floor, in a puddle of blood.

There are no more relevant diary entries from that time. Two weeks ago (March the 2nd 1953) the bodies of George and Lilian Peach (George, being a descendant of Thomas Peach, who survived, and Lilian, being a descendant of Elizabeth Franklin and also of David Cholmeley, David being one of the four children, and Elizabeth being the wife of Joseph) were found in their small house in Ashton. They had been butchered and beaten to death. The house was in a wreck, and there had clearly been a scuffle. The window was smashed, and on the window, in blood, was written, “Harry Frankin is Revenged”

There are no records of Joseph Franklin ever having a son, and Joseph Franklin died eight years to the day, after Harry Franklin (who was a figment of Joseph’s imagination) committed suicide.

What happened to George and Lilian Peach is unknown, and as to who killed them, nobody has any clear idea. Having viewed this evidence, the High Court have decided that this case is not of murder but of Supernatural Occurrences, and something out of our control.

Nota Bene. This is based on a true story, and all of the characters are based on true people that have died.

No comments:

Post a Comment